A client can use the following operations to process a Mailbox in the authenticated Account, as well as in other Accounts (by specifying the full Mailbox name as ~accountName@domainName/mailboxName).
This operation opens the specified Mailbox as a "Folder".
A Folder represents a Server Mailbox, with all messages being sorted and, optionally, filtered.
Each folder has a name, and one session cannot have two folders with the same name. On the other hand, the same session can open the same Mailbox as two different folders (with different names). For example, an application may use one folder to show the Mailbox content sorted by the Date field, while maintaining a separate window where it shows the same Mailbox, but only the messages containing the Business tag in the Keywords field, with all these messages sorted by the From field.
When Mailbox messages are added, removed, or updated, the Server reports these updates to all clients that have opened that Mailbox as a Folder.
Each folder sends its update notifications independently, so the client does not need to know that two folders are presenting different views on the same Server Mailbox.
- the name for the new Folder to be opened. A client can use an arbitrary string as a Folder name.
- the Mailbox name. If this attribute is not specified, the folder name is used.
- an optional attribute. If the specified Mailbox does not exist and this optional attribute is specified, the specified Mailbox is created.
- If this attribute value is a non-empty string, that value is assigned as the Mailbox Class to the newly created Mailbox.
- the name of a message header field to use for Mailbox sorting.
- if this optional attribute is specified and it has the desc value, the sorting order is reversed.
- if this optional attribute is specified, only the Mailbox messages matching this attribute value are included into the Folder.
- if this optional attribute is specified, its value specifies the message header field to compare with the filter attribute. Only the messages containing the specified field and with the field value matching the filter attribute value are included into the folder.
- If this attribute value is FLAGS, the filter attribute value should contain a comma-separated list of message flags names and/or negative names. Only the messages with the specified flags set and the specified negative flags not set are included into the Server view.
- For example, the filter="Media,Unseen" attribute will tell the Server to build a view using only the messages with the Media flags set and the Seen flag not set.
- If this attribute value is body, messages containing the filter attribute value in any message body part are included into the server view.
- If this attribute is missing, messages containing the filter attribute value in message body part, or in any message header field are included into the server view.
- If this optional attribute is present, the "hide deleted" folder mode is switched on if the attribute value is yes. If this optional attribute is absent, the "hide deleted" folder mode is switched on if the current effective value of the DeleteMode Account Preference is not Mark.
- When the "hide deleted" mode is on, a mailbox message is removed from the folder list as soon as the "D