- Use any "unzip"-type tool to unpack the CGatePro-Win32-Intel-version.zip file. The tool should be able to use long file names.
- Some "unzip" applications have the Install option, use that option if available. If the Install option is not available, unpack the archive. The unpacked directory should contain the CommuniGate Pro application folder and the Installer.exe application. Launch the Installer.exe application.
- If the CommuniGate Pro software is running, the Installer asks your permission to stop it.
- The Installer asks you where to place the CommuniGate Pro application folder, and where to create the "base" directory. If a previous version of CommuniGate Pro has been already installed, the Installer shows the locations used, and the Install button is renamed into the Update button.
- Click the Install/Update button to copy the CommuniGate Pro software into the selected location. If the CommuniGate Pro "base" folder does not exist, the Installer creates an empty folder in the selected location.
- The information about the selected locations is stored in the System Registry.
- The CommuniGate Pro Messaging Server (the CGStarter.exe application) is registered as a service that starts automatically when the system starts. This small application starts the CGServer.exe - the CommuniGate Pro Server application. The Installer asks if you want to start the Server now.
- Launch the Server and proceed with the Initial Configuration.
You should use the Services control panel to verify or change the Log On as name for the CommuniGate Pro service. That name should have the Act as part of the operating system Windows NT privilege. If the CommuniGate Pro Server does not have this privilege, not only it will fail to authenticate users using the Windows NT password system, but an attempt to use an incorrect password may cause the server to crash. This problem is fixed in the Windows NT Service Pack 4.
If your server should serve 100 accounts or more, check the description of the TIME_WAIT problem and follow the instructions to decrease the NT TIME_WAIT time interval.
You can also start the CommuniGate Pro server manually, as a "console application", by launching the CGServer.exe file. If started without parameters, the Server creates the C:\CommuniGatePro folder and uses it as its "base" folder". If you want to use any other location, use the --Base command line parameter:
CGServer.exe --Base D:\OtherDirectory