If you are migrating from a sendmail-based mail system, you may find the following information useful:
The aliases file
The sendmail aliases file allows the administrator to redirect local mail to one or several addresses. Sendmail uses the term "alias" for too many different things, so you should select the proper CommuniGate Pro feature to implement different types of sendmail "aliases":
- Each account can have one or several aliases. Mail sent to any Account Alias name is routed to the Account itself. If the domain.dom Account john.smith has j.smith and smith aliases, mail sent to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org addresses is delivered to the email@example.com Account. When an Account is renamed, its Aliases automatically start to point to the new name, and when an Account is removed, all its Aliases are removed, too.
- Domain Forwarder objects allow you to redirect mail sent to a Domain address to any other address. The domain.dom Forwarder susan.smith can reroute all mail sent to firstname.lastname@example.org address to the email@example.com address.
- Domain Group objects allow you to redirect mail sent to some Domain address to any set of addresses.
- The Router module allows you to redirect mail sent to a certain address to any other address. The Router Alias Record *.firstname.lastname@example.org = Smith@domain.dom will reroute mail sent to email@example.com and to firstname.lastname@example.org to the Smith@domain.dom address.
- The Account Rules allow the administrator and/or the users themselves to redirect/forward/mirror all or certain mail to one or several addresses.
- The Server-Wide Rules allow the administrator to redirect/forward/mirror all or certain mail to one or several addresses.
- The shared or Foreign Mailboxes feature allows a user to grant access to a Mailbox to other users; in many cases a shared Mailbox is a much better alternative to mail distribution.
- The List module provides a very powerful mailing list distribution mechanism.
The Server-Wide, Domain-Wide, and Account-Level Automated Rules allow administrators and users to perform automatic mail processing and filtering using the powerful condition checking and processing operations built into the CommuniGate Pro Server.
For the situations where messages should be processed using an external filter or processor, the Execute Automated Rules operation can be used to start the specified external program as a separate OS task (for example, the Rules can be used to process all or certain incoming messages with the same procmail program).